About the Job
As our new Mechanical Engineer/Designer, you have experience and passion for reducing global GHG. Your primary goal is to design, build and test mechanical devices for our Extract Energy heat engine solution. We’re looking for someone who can truly own their projects, and carry them independently all the way through design, prototyping, testing, and production.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Design, build, and test everything mechanical, from miniature devices to larger machines, incorporating programmable shape memory alloy technology
- Develop and execute verification and validation activities including test plans and building equipment
- Support procurement and commissioning of automation, mechanical, and manufacturing equipment for both rapid prototyping and production
- Support marketing, business development, production, quality, and research and development efforts
You will have the freedom to work on your projects independently, while being responsive to the iterative nature of the work, and communicating effectively with rest of the team.
You have great technical strength, and you’re more than just book smart – you love digging into projects, getting your hands dirty, and feeling the rush that comes with successfully testing your own creations. You take pride in documenting your work and sharing in a collaborative manner.
You are also the kind of person who can look at the big picture, and intuitively understand the work it takes to achieve it. You’re not only a problem solver, you are a problem definer – able to insightfully characterize problems and develop comprehensive requirements for which you develop solutions.
If this sounds like you, and you’re excited by the opportunity to work in a dynamic, industry-leading start-up, then we want to hear from you!
About Smarter Alloys
At Smarter Alloys, your designs are put into practice. We’re at the forefront of the smart materials revolution, with applications ranging from clean tech, to wearable technology to medical devices.
We are an innovative and fast-moving company that is on the cutting edge of the smart materials industry. We have high growth goals and are looking for someone who can help us get there!
As part of our team, you can expect:
- A full-time, permanent position working in a state-of-the-art facility
- Flexible work schedule (40 hrs/week) with core hours between 10:00am – 3:30pm
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Medical and dental benefits
- Opportunities for professional development
Here’s what we need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 3-4 years of related product development/manufacturing experience in a mechanical design role
- Advanced knowledge in 3D design tools such as AutoDesk, SolidWorks, etc.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing principles and DFMA, specifically for metals
- Strong knowledge of thermomechanical FEA, and experience using FEA software (Comsol or Ansys experience preferred)
- Good knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stackups
And here’s what would be an asset:
- Background in materials science with experience in shape memory alloys
- Experience in an agile research and development environment
- Experience with laser processing and advanced manufacturing
- Good understanding of fluid dynamics
- Strong knowledge of heat transfer, and thermodynamics
- Experience with machine design
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Own the projects, and carry them independently all the way through design, prototyping, testing, and production.
Medical Device Engineer
Job Description As someone in the early years of your career, or a seasoned engineer, you’re looking for a role with a company that will let you...
Mechatronics/Mechanical Co-op (4 or 8 months)
About the Job As someone in the early years of your career, you're looking for a role with a company that will let you flex your creative muscle,...