Mechatronics/Mechanical Co-op (4 or 8 months)
About the Job
As someone in the early years of your career, you’re looking for a role with a company that will let you flex your creative muscle, challenge your technical skills, and gives you the opportunity for growth and advancement. You can stop looking, because this is that role, and we are that company.
Smarter Alloys is at the forefront of the smart materials revolution. Our technology can be found across a wide range of industries, including medical/dental, automotive, consumer electronics and clean technology. So, if you’re a Mechatronics or Mechanical Engineering student excited to work in a dynamic, industry-leading start-up, we want to hear from you.
Mechatronics/Mechanical Engineering Assistant
Your primary goal is to contribute to a variety of ongoing projects with your mechanical design, electronics and software competencies. We’re looking for someone who can truly own their tasks and carry them independently all the way.
You will have the independence and freedom to work on your projects as you see fit, but with that freedom comes the responsibility of being understanding and responsive to the iterative nature of the work, and of communicating effectively with rest of the team.
You also have great technical strength, and you’re more than just book smart – you love digging into projects, getting your hands dirty, and feeling the rush that comes with successfully testing your own creations. You should also be the kind of person who can look at the big picture, and intuitively understand all the work that needs to be put in place to achieve it.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Design, build, and test electromechanical devices using programmable shape memory alloy (SMA) technology
- Design and build jigs, fixtures and setups for enhancement of new and existing test fixtures
- Design and setup basic circuits and electronics for project prototypes
- Write and implement software programs for setups and project prototypes
- Run iterative experiments to optimize processing conditions for material properties
- Solve problems of varying nature and complexity
- Work independently on tasks in a goal-oriented team environment
Working at Smarter Alloys
This is a co-op position, located in our state-of-the-art Cambridge location.
We are a small, innovative and fast-moving company that is on the cutting edge of the smart materials industry. We have aggressive growth goals and are looking for someone who is willing to put in the work to help us get there. If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you.
As part of our team, you can expect:
- A full-time (40 hours/week) co-op term for 4 or 8 months working in our Cambridge facility.
- Mentorship, training, and experience in the growing smart materials revolution, developing devices in medical devices, automotive/aerospace, and clean technology.
- Gain experience on mechanical and electrical design, laser CNC manufacturing, data acquisition and sensor feedback control systems.
Here’s what we need:
- Working to attain a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Mechatronics Engineering
- Experience in 3D design tools such as AutoDesk Suite, SolidWorks, etc.
- Experience with mechanical design
- Experience with basic circuit design and analysis
- Experience with software programming (Arduino, Python, DAQFactory, C++, Qt, etc.)
- Good Knowledge of Materials Engineering Concepts
And here’s what would be an asset:
- Background in materials science with experience in shape memory alloys
- Experience with laser processing and advanced manufacturing
- Experience driving projects through a data analysis approach
- Experience with low-level firmware development or embedded software
- Experience with PCB design using Altium Designer or similar software
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Please let us know which term you are available for and how long (4 or 8 months) in the application.
Every day in this role will offer an opportunity to apply your deep technical knowledge to help develop innovative solutions to important problems.