About the Job
As our new Mechanical Powertrain Design Engineer, your primary goal is to design, build and test mechanical components for our Extract Energy heat engine solution. We’re looking for someone who can truly own their projects and carry them independently all the way through design, prototyping, testing, and production.
Specifically, we’re looking for someone with experience in powertrain design, mechanical power transmission and related design for manufacturing and assembly.
Practically speaking, you will:
- Design, build, and test everything mechanical, from miniature devices to larger machines, incorporating programmable shape memory alloy technology
- Develop and execute verification and validation activities including test plans and building equipment
- Support procurement and commissioning of automation, mechanical, and manufacturing equipment for both rapid prototyping and production
- Support marketing, business development, production, quality, and research and development efforts
You will have the freedom to work on your projects independently, while being responsive to the iterative nature of the work and communicating effectively with rest of the team.
You have great technical strength, and you’re more than just book smart – you love digging into projects, getting your hands dirty, and feeling the rush that comes with successfully testing your own creations. You take pride in documenting your work and sharing in a collaborative manner. You are passionate about clean energy technologies, reducing global GHG emissions and combatting climate change.
You are also the kind of person who can look at the big picture, and intuitively understand the work it takes to achieve it. You’re not only a problem solver, you are a problem definer – able to insightfully characterize problems and develop comprehensive requirements for which you develop solutions.
If this sounds like you, and you’re excited by the opportunity to work in a dynamic, industry-leading start-up, then we want to hear from you!
About Smarter Alloys
Smarter Alloys is at the forefront of the smart materials revolution. With applications ranging from wearable technology to medical devices, our technology can be found across a wide range of industries, including medical/dental, automotive, energy harvesting, consumer electronics and sporting goods.
We are an innovative and fast-moving company that is on the cutting edge of smart materials. We have aggressive growth goals and are looking for someone who can help us get there!
As part of our team, you can expect:
- A full-time, permanent position working in a state-of-the-art facility
- Flexible work schedule (40 hrs/week) with core hours between 10:00am – 3:30pm
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Extended Health Benefit package
- Opportunities for professional development
Here’s what we need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of 3-4 years of related product development/manufacturing experience in a mechanical design role
- Experience in powertrain design, mechanical power transmission and related design for manufacturing & assembly
- Advanced knowledge in 3D design tools such as AutoDesk suite, SolidWorks, etc.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing principles and DFM/A
- Strong knowledge of thermomechanical FEA, and experience using FEA software (Comsol or Ansys etc)
- Good knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stackups
And here’s what would be an asset:
- Background in materials science with experience in shape memory alloys
- Experience in an agile research and development environment
- Experience with laser processing and advanced manufacturing
- Good understanding of fluid dynamics
- Strong knowledge of heat transfer, and thermodynamics
- Experience with machine design
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Every day in this role will offer an opportunity to apply your deep technical knowledge to help develop innovative solutions to important problems.